Monday, May 10, 2010

Beauty for Ashes

"The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me...He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted... to give them beauty for ashes...that He might be glorified." --Isaiah 61:1-3

I have heard that:
"Adoption is born of loss and sacrifice."
This Mother's Day I have thought a lot about that statement. In every miracle of adoption someone has suffered loss. It can look different in each circumstance---sometimes it looks like the birth parents surrendering their heart so that their child will have a better opportunity. Sometimes it looks like the child experiencing cold abandonment. Sometimes it looks like the adoptive family experiencing loss by walking through infertility.
Ashes
I have thought a lot about the birth mother of our son and what her Mother's Day may look like when her country celebrates it this fall. I have thought a lot about all that our son has had to grieve in his short life.
Ashes
I have thought a lot about how Jesus came to bind up brokenhearts and how one day there will be no more sorrow or pain or separation.
Beauty
"In adoption the fearful become beloved, the scorned become adored, the nameless become cherished, the lonely become the laughing, and death becomes life abundant."--Hasenbalg
Beauty

No comments:

Post a Comment